Jonathan Hazard acquired the shares of his siblings to 528 Front and became sole owner of July 11, 1911. It was he and Fannie Wright Hazard who made the most changes in the house to date. However, with the help of Edwin D. Sompayrac of the firm of Wilson and Sompayac of Columbia, South Carolina, the integrity of the original house was maintained.
On the exterior of the original house, all of the windows were changed to two over two, and on the east side, a bay window toward the back was added (to the dining room). Above this on the second floor, double windows were installed where a single one had been for balance. To the original house was added a large two story wing at the rear on the east side. This addition contained a modern kitchen, a butler’s pantry and a walk in pantry downstairs; with an additional bedroom and a large bathroom, also a linen closet and a maid’s closet with sink upstairs. A set of service stairs was also included. Using what had been the roof and foundation of kitchen addition by B.I. Hazard, the space was turned into a large back porch.
On the interior, beginning at the front door with the hall, the two original doors to the east and west parlors were removed and the space widened to throw all “en suite.” In the hall, the pilasters and lintel, the wainscoting (matching the original in the two front rooms), and the band of candlelight molding (copied from the original in the east front room) are 1912 additions. The simple two bard wide wainscoting on the staircase wall was changed to match that which was added. The original two bard wide wainscoting remains on the second flight of stairs, just past the landing.
An interesting traffic feature was created by changing the Palladian window to a door with a rounded arch through the original back wall of the house on the higher of the two landings. Steps were installed and a room was added so a connection was made with the new service stairs. All of this made it possible to go from the front stairs to the new wing and/or down the back stairs as a short cut and on occasion remove the necessity of going through the east back room of the original house (now the dining room).
It would make sense that the downstairs back room on the west side was the dining room when the first kitchen was attached to the house by the B.I. Hazards. There is a door that presently leads to the porch, but would have served as the kitchen entrance. With the new wing being added to the rear of the house on the east side in 1912, became the dining room. As Mrs. Hazard was fond of entertaining, a great deal was added to enhance this room. Originally it had only a chair rail, crown mold, door surrounds and a simple mantle.
The creation of the large bay window with the three panels of leaded glass and two side windows added four (4) feet in width to the room, also additional light. The pilasters and lintel, matching those in the hall added elegance to the effect. The chimney wall was paneled to match that in the east parlor, the same candlelight molding was added to the crown molding and used on the doors with the elaborate broken pediments-one door leading to the kitchen wing, the other to a china cabinet with leaded glass doors, matching the glass in the bay.
It seems that no changes were made upstairs to the original house other than the already mentioned double windows in the east rear room. Electric bells were installed in all the bedrooms to call for maid service. These rang in the butler’s pantry.
Taken from “A Brief History of Lots 41, 42, and 69 and the Residence Thereon 528 Front Street Situated in the Town of Georgetown, South Carolina“ by Patricia Doyle